Monday, September 6, 2010

The Day That I Was Born...

The sonogram my mother took in her 2nd trimester couldn't exactly determine the sex of the feotus. The millions of family members and old uncles and aunties my parents encountered, told my mother that it was going to be a boy.


"Believe me, I know these things. If your behind sticks out, that means its a girl, but since your tummy is really big, that means it has to be a boy!"- Was the awesome piece of information given to my mother by a neighbour who neither had any knowledge of Gynaecology, nor a Degree in Sex-Determination-Of-Child-By-Observing-Belly-Size-Of-Mother.


But still, they all knew. And my mother wasn't looking forward to it. "Preferably," my mother often says, "its nice to have one of each. But I would have been a teeny bit sad if I had two boys."
"Teeny bit" was a lie, in my opinion. Boys are dull. They have a limited selection when it comes to clothes. Their only idea of fun, at the age of 10 is to bash up girls, and at the age of 20, it changes to running after them. Their egos are bigger than their heads themselves. Why would anyone want TWO of that?!!


So as everyone had already lectured my mother and told her the sex of her yet-to-be-born baby, she was preparing herself for a life devoted to bringing up two little boys. Until the day that I was born......


"Doctor, what is it?"



"Shhhh....It's a girl."


"A girl?Oh what a surprise!!"

 
And with that, my mother smiled, and  plopped her head onto her pillow for some well deserved sleep. Giving birth to a 7.5 pound baby isn't an easy task!



 
N.B :- In my brother's great opinion, my mum did not plop her head onto the pillow to rest, but she "fainted from the shock of having given birth to something so horrible." Really now. Boys!! :P

4 comments: