Thursday, July 25, 2013

Star Spangled Journey (Part II)

Five Weeks: Five Amazing Experiences

UPenn Commencement, 2013 at Franklinfield, Phil.
 UPenn Graduation Ceremony, Philadelphia: My childhood friend, Karina spent the past four years studying Economics at the University of Pennsylvania. I was lucky enough to be in the US the week of her graduation. For me, graduation just meant wearing a hat and robe to pose for photos and then getting a degree certificate a few months later (because my own college is awesome, most Universities in Mumbai sadly have no such practice). And then I got to be a spectator at an amazing ceremony in a huge football field. I was freezing due to the cold winds blowing through the air which I am not at all used to (although I was wearing 3 layers and even flicked my Aunt's pashmina shawl) but that didn't stop me from enjoying the impressive ceremony. American Vice President Joe Biden gave the Commencement Address, after which all the different degrees conferred on the students from various schools were announced. I don't know if I will ever have the chance of seeing a graduation ceremony on such a grand scale again but I am so glad I got to experience one of a person who's very close to my heart. 

Washington Monument at sunset
Monuments by Moonlight Tour, Washington D.C: It's safe to say that  everything looks beautiful in moonlight. It was entirely by chance that I noticed a flyer for a moonlight tour of D.C. in the breakfast parlour of our hotel. My aunt then called and reserved two tickets and I spent that whole day looking forward to the Old Town Trolley Tour. Our guide was fun and knowledgeable and took us through all the great monuments that Washington is famous for. I had seen most of them by day of course, but being lit up and shining in the moonlight gives marble buildings a new aura altogether. Whether it was the FDR Memorial or the Korean War Memorial, the U.S Capitol  or the Washington Monument, each one looked more amazing during the nighttime. The Lincoln Memorial too, was lit up in orange lights that made it look sort of regal. It was also during this tour that we were told about the Library of Congress, else I probably wouldn't have had a chance to see the interiors of the palatial building! Although we got home almost at midnight, it was an unforgettable tour As the flyer rightly says, "You haven't seen Washington until you've seen it at night!"

Sunset at Grand Canyon
(Click on the pic for larger view)
Sunset at Grand Canyon, Arizona: What makes a view of the Grand Canyon even grander? Watching it at sunset. I was there for 2 nights and both days the Canyon looked more spectacular during sunset. Whether it was the rocks changing colour as the sun went down or the sky becoming pink, dark blue and orange as time passed, every image was a sight to behold. Sunset being my favourite time of the day for photography, I took as many photos as I could from various sites and angles.
View from Hopi Point(Click on the pic for larger view)

The first evening I sat on the rocks eating my dinner, savouring a delicious chocolate pudding, as the sun went down. 
Next time I visit the Canyon I'm going to try and be there to see the sunrise (with true dedication, waking up at 5am should hopefully be possible) but until then I have some great pictures of one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World.




The 'O' Theater, Las Vegas
Cirque Du Soleil's 'O' at Bellagio, Las Vegas: Photography is prohibited during the show, and rightly so, because no still photos can do justice to what the stars of 'O' perform for their audiences. I have never sat in absolute silence for 90 minutes, with my jaw dropping every few moments in awe of what I am viewing. But Cirque Du Soleil's show did that for me. From the beginning of the show till the curtains dropped at the end, I witnessed an amazing show of dance, music, comedy, acrobatics, swimming and storytelling. It was art in motion and every moment of it was beautiful. The artists were brilliant to say the least, and truly deserved much more than the standing ovation they received at the end. I loved every second of the one and a half hour show and would love to witness another such performance again. Oh, and did I mention I thoroughly enjoyed it?  

Peter Pan Ballet. Picture Courtesy:Google.com
Peter Pan Ballet, Wortham Theater Center, Houston: My last week in Houston was spent mainly shopping for the million things my mother ordered, and the only highlight was an evening at The Houston Ballet. The atrium of the building was really magnificent, the kind I've only seen in movies. The ballet was over two hours long but not for one moment did my interest waver from the performance. I have loved watching ballets ever since I saw a VHS of The Nutcracker when I was 8, but never have I seen a live performance. So the experience was a first, and all the more enjoyable. The Peter Pan Ballet was the perfect ending to my list of amazing experiences of this trip! (Not counting the half a tub of Ben N Jerry's Chocolate Icecream that I devoured after getting home that night! :D)

P.S. Coming soon-Part 3: A few of my favourite photos from my collection!

3 comments: